- Tuvar Dal (Sambhar dal) – 250g
- Tamarind pulp
- Water – 1litre
- Onion, tomato – 1each
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoonful
- Chilli powder -1 teaspoonful
- Coriander powder – 1 teaspoonful
- Black pepper powder – ½ teaspoonful
- Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoonful
- Garlic – 5- 10 pods
- Ginger – a small piece
- Pinch of asafoetida powder.
- Oil, curry leaves, and mustard
- Chopped coriander leaves for serving
How to prepare:-
- Cook tuvar Dal (250g) in 1 litre water. Strain and collect the soup.
- Mix the soup with Squeezed tamarind pulp, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and black pepper powder.
- Crush and add Cumin seeds, Garlic pods, piece of ginger, chopped onion, tomato, and pinch of asafoetida powder.
- Add salt to taste and bring the soup to boil
- After boiling, Season with oil, curry leaves, and mustard. Filter or decant the clear RASAM.
- Serve with chopped coriander leaves
- Relieves Anorexia
- Carminative and digestive
- Good for common cold and flu
- Balances vata
- Increases pitta
Rasam can be prepared even without the initial dal soup. In this, plain water is added to tamarind pulp to make tamarind water.
- The rasam with additional fried cumin powder is known as cumin rasam (jeera rasam).
- Similarly adding more black pepper to it makes pepper rasam
- Adding more Garlic to around 30 cloves makes a garlic rasam, it helps eliminate the Flatulence and feces, relieves abdominal distension, reduces cholesterol and prevents heart disease