Periods or menstruation – a normal vaginal bleeding that occurs every month in life of a woman.
If periods are two days late are they irregular?? Or three days late? Are clots during periods normal? We have many many questions in our mind.
Before we learn about what are irregular periods, we should know about regular periods. Periods are a cyclic process which occur every month, cycle varies from 24 – 35 days, 7 days prior or after the date are considered to be normal. The cycle shows similar pattern every month, one should always keep a track over period cycle. Your normal bleeding may last for 3-7 days. Anything beyond this range can be irregular. Even very less or heavy bleeding is irregular. Bleeding or spotting between periods is irregular.
Regular periods ensure good health, healthy hormones, keep the metabolism stable and maintain a healthy weight.
What happens if the periods are irregular? Here are a few side effects which can happen with irregular periods and need to corrected to maintain your health and quality of life.
- Period cramps/ pain:- Menstruation pain is due to the released prostaglandins which result in painful contractions of uterus. If the pain grade varies from mild to moderate and settle down with hot fomentation, painkillers, exercise, by taking plenty of fluids, nothing to worry. But if it happens frequently every cycle and the pain is severe, you may need a medical attention.
- Hormonal imbalance:- In every cycle an egg is released from the ovary, and if fertilization doesn’t take place, shedding of thickened layer of uterus takes place, i.e. the normal vaginal bleeding. All these activities are controlled by hormones in the body. An imbalance in HPO hypothalamic–pituitary–ovarian axis leads to ovulatory disorders like pcos/pcod, anovulation, etc. it may also delay periods with a gap of 2-3 months.
- Heavy or light bleeding:- Every woman loses about 40-60 ml of blood every menstrual cycle which last for about 4-5 days. Hormonal imbalance leads to changes in the bleeding pattern. Heavy bleeding can lead to anemia and affect overall health
- Affects the skin:- Irregular periods can lead to acne and unwanted facial hair leading to lack of self-esteem as all these affect our appearance. Period irregularity can also cause pigmentation and velvety patches ovber neck area which become difficult to cure
- Weight issue:- irregular periods affect the hormones and lead to excess weight gain. This in turn aggravates the irregularity and the girl in stuck in a vicious cycle of period issues. Correcting weight leads to better management of weight
- Infertility:- women with irregular periods are likely to face challenges with fertility as it affects the quality and quantity of eggs leading to discord in marital harmony
It is necessary to check and correct irregular period issues as soon as possible and it leads to multiple complications. A good lifestyle, balanced diet, regular exercise goes a long way to correct hormones. Along with that natural Ayurveda herbs are well known to correct hormonal imbalance act as a tonic for irregular periods without any side effects. Ashoka, lodhra, shatavari, jatamansi and many such herbs are time tested ayurvedic medicine for irregular periods. M2 tone syrup, infused with ashoka, shatavari and many such hormone correcting herbs is a tonic for irregular periods. It is clinically tested to reduce period pain, regulate hormones and improve fertility outcomes. Keep your hormones healthy with good thoughts too. Think positive and stay happy!!!