Your skin, all throughout the body seems glossy and smooth. It is just that one highly visible whitish-silvery patch that ruins the classy look of your skin you achieved after a Laser Hair Removal session. This whitish, scaly, itchy and ever-increasing patch is nothing but psoriasis.
Psoriasis is a recurring, non-contagious autoimmune skin disorder which means that the body cells are fighting against its own self-defense mechanism. It is characterized by red, flaky patches, and silvery scales, extremely dry and cracked skin associated with itching and burning sensation. The worst affected areas are normally the scalp, knees, elbows, knuckles and lower back. People suffering from psoriasis find it difficult to carry out daily activities like sleeping, using your hands, and walking.
According to Unclutterer – Psoriasis usually appears between 15 to 30 years of age in both men and women and affecting 125 million people worldwide. Apart from symptoms, people with psoriasis are self-conscious about their appearance and are reluctant even to go out in public places without ample covering. Gradually, those with psoriasis tend to suffer from other health problems like depression, diabetes and heart conditions.
The causes of psoriasis include poor diet, abnormal small intestine permeability, an increased number of inflammatory cells in the blood, dermis and epidermis, emotional stress, hormonal changes, genetics, vitamin D deficiency and poor liver function. As a result, the skin cells rise way too fast and actually pile up on top of each other leading to build-up of flaky skin.
Here are few lifestyle changes you can adopt along with ayurvedic treatment for psoriasis that help reduce discomfort and prevent psoriasis outbreaks.
- Moisturize, moisturize and only moisturize
- Psoriasis is purely a dry skin condition. The primary treatment option is to moisturize the skin. Use a humidifier to keep the air in your home or office moist.
- Some people, inveterate smokers, might also need to put away their cigar locker for a while, because the smoke can sometimes work towards contributing to skin conditions.
- Take a regular bath with lukewarm water containing dead Sea salts or oats for around 15 minutes will remove the dead and extra skin. It reduces the scaled and inflamed skin.
- Avoid harsh soaps; instead you can use mild soaps with added fats and oils
- Apply moha: moisturizing lotion regularly as soon as you get out of a bath or shower — this way you can lock water into your skin, which can help to calm and heal psoriasis patches. It contains almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil, aloe and sunflower oil that creates a moisture-rich environment allowing skin cells to hydrate, rejuvenate and repair, makes the skin feel softer and smoother, removes dead skin cells and forms a protective barrier on the skin.
- Follow a proper psoriasis diet treatment plan
- Eliminate red meat and fatty snacks since they trigger flare-ups.
- Cold water fish, seeds, nuts, and omega-3 fatty acids are known for their ability to reduce inflammation.
- Consuming probiotics support digestion, reduce inflammation and boost immunity.
- Increase intake of high-fiber foods such as fruits, vegetables, beans and seeds aids natural detoxification processes in the body.
- Eat foods high in antioxidants. It includes goji berries, wild blueberries, pecans, cilantro and kidney beans.
- Cut back on foods like sugar, processed foods, conventional dairy, conventional meats, hydrogenated oils, protein-rich and fried foods, white flour, gluten, and caffeine as they worsen psoriasis symptoms.
- Reduce stress
Psoriasis often contributes to stress. If lesions occur in highly visible places, people become concerned about their appearance building up tension and anxiety. This can often turn into a vicious cycle when stress itself can worsen psoriasis symptoms. To reduce stress and prevent psoriasis flare-ups, try practicing stress-reducing techniques such as prayer, body massage, yoga and meditation along with psoriasis treatment.
- Exercise and drink plenty of water
The motto of psoriasis treatment should aim to keep the skin hydrated and supple. Water helps boost your energy, flushes out toxins and improves digestion. 8-10 glass of water per day is mandatory to avoid psoriasis flare-ups. This can help remove scales and calm itching.
- Cosmetic cover-ups
Use cover-ups when you feel it necessary. On those days when you feel particularly self-conscious, cover the psoriatic areas with clothing or use cosmetic cover-up products, such as body makeup or a concealer. These products can mask redness and psoriasis plaques. However, use these cosmetics carefully since they can irritate the psoriatic patches. Avoid applying on open sores, cuts or unhealed lesions.
- Take ayurvedic medicine for psoriasis
Before opting for modern medicines, try out ayurvedic medicine for psoriasis – Immupsora tablet and Immupsora ointment. The key ingredient Manjishta helps to soften and shed of the horny outer layer of the skin in psoriasis. Manjishta with Guduchi and Triphala help in immune modulation and also exhibit antiseptic and antibacterial property. Haridra has antiinflammatory and antipruritic activity. Parpata reduces the excess epithelial proliferation of psoriatic lesions. The antioxidants of Triphala and Sariva help in the restoration of skin texture. Guduchi improves immune-competence while Tulsi has anxiolytic and anti-depressant activity to manage stress related to psoriasis.
Follow these ways and ayurvedic medicine for psoriasis to keep your skin healthy.