Digestive problems are common during summer. You may feel decreased appetite during summer season or you may suffer from dehydration or diarrhea which makes difficult to deal with digestive problems. During summer having oily and too spicy food leads to indigestion and other stomach problems. Most people either end up eating less and napping more during summer season. It’s crucial that you focus more on your diet and how often you eat including the portion size to avoid poor digestion in summer.
To deal with summer digestive problems, here are simple tips to improve digestion –
- Avoid spicy food: Avoid spicy food in the summer, as this may lead to stomach inflammation. Take beans, lotus root and carrots to dispel pathogenic heat and your stomach in summer.
- Eat Smaller, Frequent Meals: Digestive system is weak in summer, you should prevent eating more in summer, avoid heavy meals. It is best to eat smaller meals at short intervals as it goes easy on your digestive system and keeps you from feeling hungry as well.
- Drink more: Keep your body hydrated during hot weather by drinking fluids, especially water, throughout the day, you need to make sure you are getting enough fluids during summer. Have fruit juices and smoothies to stay fit and active. Due to sweat, your body loses a lot of water so have lots of water to stay hydrated and avoid water retention.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: Switch to green vegetables and fresh juicy fruits that are easy to digest. These foods will also help you stay hydrated for long. Eat juicy food like-tomatoes, apples, pears, watermelon, cucumber, sweet potatoes, white gourd and yam.
- Use digestive spices: To improve digestion during summer, have spices or herbs like- coriander, fenugreek, fennel seeds, cardamom, cilantro, cumin, ginger and parsley in your summer diet.
- Regular exercise: Daily exercise is important even in summer, for keeping the digestion and elimination systems from slowing down. Yet you don’t want to get overheated. Wake up early to exercise or take a cool evening walk in the moonlight. Swimming is a perfect summer sport, but avoid the afternoon sun.
- Boost digestion with herbal supplements:
OJUS Tablets and Syrup
OJUS is a complete digestive aid formulated by Charak Pharma. It includes a combination of herbs such as Haritaki, Shunthi, Pippali, Karanj, Bilva etc. OJUS improves digestion and relieves indigestion through its effect on secretion of digestive enzymes, motility of GI tract.
Haritaki and Shunthi in OJUS act as powerful appetizers, prokinetics and stimulants of digestive enzymes. Pippali, stimulates secretions of various glands of the intestinal and protects mucosa from gastric acid. Bilva and Karanj have been shown to be gastroprotective.
So, follow these simple tips to cope with summer digestive distress.