Fatty liver disease is a spectrum of wide range of liver conditions. It is characterized by accumulation of fat in the liver which can cause damage to liver cells since the liver does not process and break down fats as it normally should.
It is known to be a silent disease since it is not associated with any symptoms initially.
Fatty Liver is usually accidentally diagnosed in a whole abdomen USG which is prescribed for some other ailment in the first place.
Symtoms & Complications:-
- Abdominal pain associated with severe tenderness (in the right upper abdomen)
- Swelling in the legs
- Ascites (Swelling of abdomen due to fluid buildup)
- Enlarged blood vessels just beneath the skin’s surface
- Lowered Hemoglobin count
- Jaundice, or yellowed skin and eyes
- Nausea and weight loss
- Mental confusion, slurred speech and drowsiness
- Weakness or fatigue
This could also further lead to inflamed liver due to tissue damage or inhibition of liver function due to Scarification or fibrosis can occur. As the scarring progresses, it can develop in cirrhosis of liver which is life threatening.
Who Is at Risk ?
- Obese / overweight people
- Type 2 Diabetes and PCOS patients
- Dyslipidemia (High Triglycerides or cholesterol)
- Sleep Apnea
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- People who consume excess amount of fried stuff or foodstuff containing high amount of preservatives (ready to cook and eat soups / meals, canned items, various sauces)
- Recurrent episodes of jaundice / Hepatitis
- Low Vitamin D
- Long term use of certain medications like corticosteroids, antidepressant and antipsychotic drugs
- Choose to eat freshly cooked meals and avoid packaged food.
- Incase suffering from obesity, lose weight gradually. Avoid crash diets and sudden heavy exercises to lose weight since this can lead to liver being overworked and lead to complications. Also it is important to maintain the lost weight.
- Restrict intake of alcohol, caffeine, tobacco, very spicy food, fried food and food which is fat rich or high in calories. Avoid it if already under risk.
- Under proper guidance of doctor, people at high risk should get abdominal USG done every year
- Ayurvedic Panchakarma procedures like Vaman in spring and Virechan in autumn detox the liver thoroughly
- Yoga postures like surya namaskar, vajrasana, navkasana, bhujangasana, salabhasana, malasana amongst many others are known to stimulate liver and keep it healthy. Pranayama practices of anulom vilom, kapalbhati along with practice of apan mudra has been known to keep up the liver and abdominal health. However, always perform this under professional guidance. Also consult your doctor before starting this routine since certain actions are not recommended for pre-existing conditions like spondylosis, spondylitis, hernia, etc.
According to ayurveda, bitter herbs like aloe vera, neem, karela, amla, turmeric and others are used for both protection of liver as well as a natural cure for liver damage. A proper combination of these potent ayurvedic herbs can be termed as the best ayurvedic liver tonic for fatty liver disease.
Ayurveda recommends food like Green leafy vegetables, beans, cabbage garlic, ginger, beetroots, carrots and apples and healthy fats for good liver health.
Liver supplements like Livomyn Syrup and tablet by Charak Pharma is clinically proven and tested to be safe and effective to support liver health. It helps detoxify liver and protect liver cells. It contains herbs like Bhumamalaki, punarnava, kasani, kutki and kalmegh amongst others which are time tested,natural cure for liver damage. This special combination potent hepatoprotective herbs, makes it best ayurvedic liver tonic to prevent fatty liver. So live healthy and keep liver healthy too with Ayurveda!!!