Fatty liver is the buildup of fat inside the liver.
We generally have some amount of fat in the liver which is normal, but if it becomes excess, it becomes a health problem. Generally people don’t experience any symptoms in this condition.
There is no particular treatment available for the fatty liver disease. By eliminating the cause and adopting proper diet and lifestyle modifications along with herbal therapy may enhance the liver functions and also reverse the fatty liver disease.
The exact cause of fatty liver disease is not known. Some of the commonest causes are –
- Type 2 diabetes
- High triglycerides
All of these conditions cause body to synthesize more fat and excrete it more slowly. This excess of fat is then collected and stored in the liver cells.
Fatty liver may or may not cause inflammation in the liver cells. If inflamed, this condition is called as steatohepatitis.
If ignored, this inflammation can progress further to fibrosis which is scarring of liver and cirrhosis of liver where structure of liver is impaired/shrunken with alterations in the liver function.
Fatty liver due to causes other than alcohol consumption is called as non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). If liver is inflamed due to NAFLD, it is called as called nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). NASH can also progress further to fibrosis and cirrhosis of liver.
What are the symptoms?
People with fatty liver generally don’t experience any symptoms. Rarely they may feel tired or may have some discomfort in abdomen.
How it is diagnosed?
- Fatty liver is usually an incidental finding.
- Liver is enlarged, which can be detected by doctors during a physical examination.
- Blood tests for liver function may help in the diagnosis of fatty liver.
- CT scan or MRI can detect excess fat
- Liver biopsy can detect if there is fatty liver and can also determine if it is due to alcohol or any other cause. But it is generally not recommended, as the other factors are sufficient enough for the diagnosis.
- Fatty liver is not a life threatening condition. It can be reversed by eliminating the cause. For instance, if it is due to alcohol, it can reverse in a few weeks after the person stops drinking.
- If the cause is not eliminated, then this fatty liver can be a threat to health. It can cause repeated injury to liver, eventually leading to cirrhosis.
How to treat fatty liver naturally?
Main goal of treatment is to eliminate the cause.
- Stop alcohol
- Lose weight
- Routine regular exercise- a brisk walk of 30mins- 45mins, at least 4 days a week can help. Start with 15mins a day, then gradually increasing up to 45minutes.
- Good control of diabetes
- Take measures to lower triglyceride levels
Apart from these lifestyle changes, you can also protect your liver with the herbal liver support supplements available. Livomyn is one such herbal supplement designed by Charak Pharma. Some of the herbs in Livomyn are- Kalmegh, Bhumyamalaki, Kasni, Punarnava, Daruhaldi, Guduchi, Sunthi etc. Livomyn by virtue of its antiviral, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties is an ideal hepatoprotective. These liver support supplements and dos and dont’s will definitely improve liver health.