PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) affects over 100 million Indian women. Up to 1 in 5 women of childbearing age have PCOS. Despite these shocking figures, there’s still a general lack of awareness about the condition and how it needs to be dealt with. PCOS is a chronic condition, which means that the problem persists for life and cannot be cured completely. Hormonal imbalance in PCOS leads to complications like type 2 diabetes, hyperlipidemia, hypertension, heart disease, and endometrial or breast cancer, later in life. PCOS is considered as lifestyle disorder. Hence natural remedies for PCOS must include modifications in diet & lifestyle.
While cutting calories will help with weight loss, you simply need to reduce caloric intake by 200 calories a day. In cases of severe obesity, the further reduction may be necessary. What is more important is that you follow a low Glycemic index diet, basically including foods that will not cause a sudden spike in blood glucose levels like whole grains, legumes, vegetables and fresh fruits. It is also advisable to follow a diet with a higher protein to carb ratio, as it works like a tonic for hormonal imbalance.
To lower the risk of heart disease and high cholesterol associated with PCOS, you need to restrict your intake of saturated and trans fats, which raise bad (LDL) cholesterol, while lowering good (HDL) cholesterol. These unhealthy fats typically come from processed meats and junk foods like pizzas, samosa, and chips. Instead, include more high fiber and complex carb foods like whole grains in small amounts, as they are shown to improve cholesterol levels.
Low-intensity exercises are perfect for individuals with low fitness levels, so it would be a good idea to start with activities like yoga and pilates. Keep in mind that suddenly launching into a rigorous fitness routine can do more harm than good, so always start slow. Begin with warm-ups, stretching exercises, walking, and cooldowns for at least the first week. After the first week, you can move on to moderate intensity exercises and begin strength training.
Most beneficial yoga asanas for PCOS are Bhujangasana, Chakki Chalana and Nuaka Chalana asana and Naukasana. These asanas done regularly for 1-2 months will have the definite effect to reduce weight, improve ovarian functions and to restore menstrual regularity in women with PCOS. Yoga is natural remedies for hormonal Imbalance in females.
Among the various alternative PCOS treatments, studies have also shown that herbs commonly used in Ayurveda offer relief to women with PCOS. They work as tonic for hormonal imbalance
1. Turmeric (Haldi) – This root has been found to possess anti-androgenic properties, as curcumin, the primary compound in turmeric has an inhibiting effect on androgen receptors. It also has insulin sensitizer, hypolipidemic and anti-obesity properties.
2. Indian Gooseberry (Amla) – This fruit extract has been shown to possess various medicinal properties that can help in PCOS treatment. A study in 2009 revealed that it can lower blood glucose levels and triglycerides.
3. Heart- Leaved Moonseed (Giloy) – Highly valued in Ayurveda, this herb has a cardioprotective effect that can offset the high risk of heart disease to PCOS afflicted women, as demonstrated in a study that appeared in The Journal of Biomedical Research.
4. Miracle Fruit (Gudmar) – This plant has a number of pharmacological applications due to the presence of triterpenoids. Experimental trials have also confirmed the confirmed the hypoglycemic effect of the herb, which can help counter insulin resistance.
5. Indian Kino Tree (Vijaysaar) – Vijaysaar is widely used for maintaining various metabolic functions. Recent research suggests that the active constituents of VIjaysaar significantly modulates blood sugar metabolism to maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
Hyponidd is one such Ayurvedic drug for PCOS, as it contains a concoction of various potent herbs, including antihyperglycemic herbs like Tarwar, Mamejoa, Haridra and Amalaki. These herbs help to control blood sugar levels and reduce insulin resistance. Haridra, in particular, is notable for anti-androgenic properties that help to correct hormonal imbalances, thereby restoring normal ovulation and reproductive function. Other herbs like Gudmar, Jambu, and Guduchi offer cardioprotective benefits and also help by reducing symptoms like acne, hirsutism, obesity, and infertility. Hyponidd is natural remedies for hormonal Imbalance in females.