Tummy trouble in general can sound like an abdominal pain. But it is a generalized term, ii literally means abdominal pain due to any reason. But if we try to understand in detail, we understand that it is more concern to abdominal pain due to gas, bloating, indigestion etc. this brings us to the possibility of (IBS) Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Let’s understand it.
- What is IBS?
- Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Signs and Symptoms of IBS
- When to see a doctor?
- What can trigger IBS?
- Quick tips that can help boost digestion.
What is IBS?
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the stomach and intestines, also known as commonly a discomfort in the gastrointestinal tract. Some people can control their symptoms by managing diet, lifestyle and stress. More-severe symptoms can be treated with medication and counselling. There are IBS medicine available in market. herbal medicine also works wonder.
Causes of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- The walls of the intestines contract as they move food through your digestive tract. These Contractions, when gets stronger and last for longer then they can cause gas, bloating and diarrhoea.
- Weak contractions can slow food passage and lead to hard, dry stools. Causing IBS
- The brain and the intestines are coordinated with signals. Any disturbance in this may lead to overreaction of nerves which can cause pain, diarrhoea or constipation.
- IBS can be caused by bacteria or a virus infection. IBS might also be associated with a bacterial overgrowth in the intestines.
- People having stressful events, especially in childhood, tend to have more symptoms of IBS.
- Changes in gut microbes.
Signs and symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Cramping, Abdominal pain, Bloating, gas, Diarrhoea, sometimes constipation, Frequent changes in bowel movement, in severe conditions there might be bleeding as well.
When to see a doctor?
- If there is frequent change in bowel movement then you should definitely visit your doctor. If you have sudden weight loss, Pain that isn’t relieved by passing gas or a bowel movement, Diarrhoea at night, Rectal bleeding, Anaemia, Unexplained vomiting,
What can trigger Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
food habits play a vital role in IBS. Having irregular food habits, frequent use of spicy, sour food can trigger the symptoms, Allergy towards certain foods or beverages may vary from person to person, this could be a triggering factor. Many a times, lactose/ dairy or dairy products are found as triggering factors, stressful life event can also enhance the symptoms.
Quick tips that can help boost digestion
- Stick to a schedule and always try to have, food on same timing.
- Eat freshly cooked warm meals.
- Always keep an eye on portion., avoid spicy, extreme sour, hot, cold food items.
- Avoid stale food.
- Understand the allergies in the form of food and beverages and avoid them.
- Avoid stress.
- Use boiled and cooled water for drinking.
- Many IBS medicine are there in market
- Take herbal supplements whenever needed they benefit a lot. Stop IBS is one such medicine formulated by Charak Pharma. Helps modulate intestinal motility, normalize stool consistency, regulate stool frequency, relieve colic and abdominal distension
Always consult a doctor whenever needed.