Are you diagnosed with disease called Vitiligo? Are you overanxious and scared by white patches on skin? Are you suffering from social injustice?
Are you suffering from problems such as neglect, social stigma and discrimination in society due to white skin? Are you disturb and confused by common myths surrounding Vitiligo?
Vitiligo has gained some notice because of its ‘celebrity status’, as we all know that Michael Jackson suffered from a medical disease called Vitiligo. While it’s important to remember that Vitiligo affects millions of other people around the world.
What is Vitiligo i.e. white skin?
Vitiligo is a disease that causes the loss of skin color in blotches. The extent and rate of color loss from Vitiligo is unpredictable. It can affect the skin on any part of your body. It may also affect hair and the inside of the mouth.
Normally, the color of hair and skin is determined by melanin. Vitiligo occurs when the cells that produce melanin die or stop functioning. Vitiligo affects people of all skin types, but it may be more noticeable in people with darker skin.
- White patches on skin
- Premature whitening or graying of the hair on your scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows or beard
- Loss of color in the tissues that line the inside of your mouth and nose (mucous membranes)
- Loss of or change in color of the inner layer of the eyeball (retina)
Most people with Vitiligo start developing symptoms before the age of 40; and almost half of them experience early symptoms by the age of 20.
Is Vitiligo contagious?
Vitiligo is NOT contagious and does not spread through touch. It’s not painful and does not cause any other associated health complications. However, it can have major emotional and psychological impact on the person as it affects his/her physical appearance drastically.
Vitiligo – white skin and social stigma in India
In India and perhaps elsewhere also men, women and children with Vitiligo face severe psychological and social problems. Many Vitiligo patients feel distressed and stigmatized by their condition. They attract undue attention from the general public, sometimes whispered comments, antagonism and ostracism.
- Autoimmune disorder: The affected person’s defence mechanisms may develop destroy melanocytes, black pigment generating cells of the skin.
- Genetic factors: Certain factors that may increase the chance of getting Vitiligo can be inherited.
- Neurogenic factors: A substance that is toxic to melanocytes may be released at nerve endings in the skin.
- Self-destruction: A defect in the melanocytes causes them to destroy themselves.
- A trigger event, such as sunburn, stress or exposure to industrial chemical, physical or emotional stress. It’s possible that a combination of these factors is responsible for Vitiligo.
PIGMENTO Tablets and Ointment
A comprehensive ayurvedic medicine for Vitiligo designed by renowned Charak Pharma for the Vitiligo natural treatment. PIGMENTO stimulates melanogenesis and effectively induces re-pigmentation in Vitiligo.
Psoralea corylifolia, the main ingredient of PIGMENTO stimulates melanocytes to synthesize melanin. PIGMENTO prevents melanocytes from the oxidative damage, protects collagen by inhibiting collagenase activity, shows antifungal, immunomodulating, anxiolytic and anti-inflammatory properties in Vitiligo natural treatment.
So awareness of disease and counselling along with ayurvedic medicine for Vitiligo plays vital role in prevention and treatment of Vitiligo patches.